Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Blog Assignment Week 4


Langwitches Blog: The Magic of Learning

I chose to review this website in preparation for the making of my podcast. One article on the webpage was entitled "Long Distance Storytelling." The writer described how her 5-year-old niece lives in Brazil, and she is therefore not able to see her often. She could only communicate with her through skype. She wanted to be able to read to her niece, so she recorded a book that her mom used to read to her and her siblings. Her hope was that she could connect with her niece via a podcast.

I'm going to be honest now. I did not initially like the idea of a podcast. I, like many students, am a visual learner. I like to be able to read words and see things written out in order to better understand them. Until I read this article, I thought podcasts would be somewhat pointless in teaching children because so many of them need visual examples. However, I now see how podcasts can be used in many ways to connect with loved ones or to share information with people overseas. I am sure the writer's niece was very excited to be able to hear her aunt read her a story, since she never got to see her aunt much. Because I have learned the value of things such as podcasts, I will go into my EDM310 project with a bit more enthusiasm and with a positive attitude. I am very excited!

2 comments:

  1. "I will go into my EDM310 project with a bit more enthusiasm and with a positive attitude." Well good! You can also do a videocast. In fact I often just listen to a videocast. In most cases the video is actually irrelevant. But some are addicted to video!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, loved the Langwitches site. I loved the idea of long distance storytelling. What an incredible way to keep in touch with family in other parts of the world. Such a personal touch and something that can be listened to over and over again. I was also not sure about podcasting and it's benefits. However, I now look forward to incorporating this into the classroom.

    ReplyDelete